Carlthorp School

Carlthorp School, 438 San Vicente Boulevard, 1983. Source: Santa Monica Public Library.

Carlthorp School, 438 San Vicente Boulevard, 1983. Source: Santa Monica Public Library.

In 1939, educators Mercedes Thorp and Ann Carlson Granstrom founded Carlthorp School in a small house on 4th Street. At the end of the first year, the school had ten students, but by 1941, the school needed more space, and purchased a larger house at 438 San Vicente Boulevard. The c. 1925 Mediterranean Revival-style house served as both day and boarding school. During the 1950s, additional classrooms were added across the rear of the campus, and in 1976, the east building was added.