Phillips Chapel

Phillips Chapel, 1910. Source: Santa Monica Public Library.

Phillips Chapel, 1910. Source: Santa Monica Public Library.

The first African American residents arrived in Santa Monica in the late 19th century, and settled between 2nd and 6th Streets (present day Civic Center), in proximity to Phillips Chapel, home to Reverend Charles H. Phillips’ Colored Methodist Episcopal Church (today the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church), established in 1908. The congregation first met in Hull’s Hall at 1519 3rd Street (demolished) before moving to its permanent home at 2001 4th Street (City of Santa Monica Landmark #68), near the Ocean Park neighborhood of Santa Monica.