Fairmount Villas, Northeast

Aerial survey of the City of Santa Monica, 1928. Source: Santa Monica Public Library.

Aerial survey of the City of Santa Monica, 1928. Source: Santa Monica Public Library.

There are two residential tracts within the Northeast neighborhood, both subdivided in the first two decades of the 20th century. The first of these was Tract 3000, also known as Fairmount Villas and Fairmount Hills, was bounded by Montana on the north, Wilshire on the south, Stanford Street on the east, and 26th Street on the west. In 1906, an unnamed syndicate of Venice, Ocean Park and Santa Monica investors “bought out the entire group of 133 lots…ranging from one-half acre to one acre.” In about 1915, the parcels were re-subdivided from the larger sizes to narrow, 50’ wide parcels. At this time, two large parcels along Wilshire Boulevard were removed from the subdivision.