Advertisement for Serra Vista Townsite. Source: Los Angeles Times.
In early 1905, an L-shaped area bounded by present-day Santa Monica Boulevard on the north, Colorado and Broadway Avenues on the south, present-day Centinela Avenue on the east, and Harvard Street on the west, was developed by F. E. Bundy and R.W. Armstrong as the United Land and Water Company. Designed to be a “model townsite” on “the cream of the valuable holdings of Senator Jones and the Baker Estate,” Serra Vista was demarcated by the placement of 20’ high ornamental columns at the entrance of each street. The 50’ x 187.5’ and 50’ x 150’ lots sold rapidly, with nearly half of them purchased at auction the first day. In 1907, along with Irwin Heights, Serra Vista was annexed into Santa Monica.