The information presented below was provided to the project team by members of the community. The project team will review and research each submission, the results of which will be represented in the context statement and database provided to the City.
Colorado Avenue Viaduct/Pier Bridge
The viaduct is a reinforced poured-in-place concrete bridge connecting Colorado Avenue from Ocean Avenue to the Santa Monica Pier, over Highway 1 and Appian Way. The viaduct was one element of a comprehensive transportation plan to eliminate congestion and promote access to the coast and Santa Monica Pier. These infrastructure projects were completed as part of the Colorado Grade Separation Project between 1939 and 1940, partially funded by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) program.
While simple and utilitarian in design, the viaduct has undergone few alterations and retains integrity from its original construction. The viaduct maintains its reinforced poured-in-place concrete construction supported by a series of bents with paired piers, original metal lamp posts (although lamps have been replaced with modern lighting), and simple balustrades with thick regular rails, which continue along Appian Way and the ramp accessing Highway 1 from Ocean Avenue. The simple balustrade and rails visually unite the PWA infrastructure projects completed as part of the Colorado Avenue Grade Separation project. A commemorative plaque is attached to a low concrete wall at the entrance and reads, “Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, Colorado Avenue Viaduct, 1939.”
Alterations that have occurred include the replacement of lamppost lamps, demolition of raised pedestrian walkways flanking the two vehicular lanes, and infill of three segments at the western portion under the viaduct for storage area and restrooms.
The viaduct, and its planning and construction in 1939, was and is pivotal to the local culture and economy and associated commercial, entertainment and recreational areas of the City. It is locally significant for its association with the federal Public Works Administration and the local infrastructure projects of 1939-1940, which improved pedestrian and vehicular access to the coast and Santa Monica Pier. The viaduct is also significant as it is integral to the cultural, social, and economic history of the City and the Santa Monica Pier.
928 18th Street
This classic cottage-style 1920s property has been restored authentically by the owner. The owner used as many of the original roof tiles as possible and has preserved much of the original interiors. The three "casitas" on the 900 block of 18th Street are not highly decorated but are far from plain. There are strong architectural details around the doors, chimneys and staircases.
3032-3038 Delaware Avenue
This is a notable 2-story courtyard apartment in Pico.
Percy G. Winnett was an important figure in the history of Los Angeles, as the president of Bullocks who hired John Parkinson to design Bullocks Wilshire. There still exists a fragment of the garden/grounds and one of the outbuildings, in brick. It may be part of the property of the house to the east of the building. There are also remaining gates and walls along San Vicente, and a couple of the short streets, and the former carriage house for the estate, which is now a private residence.
14th Street at Michigan Avenue
The parking lot at the northeast corner of 14th and Michigan used to be a Japanese-American community center, and the small building directly to the east may have been associated.
This building served as James Turrell's studio.
2448 Main Street
Abstract expressionist Richard Diebenkorn built this building, and created his Santa Monica series here. Sam Francis may have shared the building at one time.
2001 1/2 Main Street
This building housed John Baldessari's studio from 1970 to 2011.
1807 9th Street
These one-story, inverted v-shaped courtyard apartments in the Colonial Revival style feature 5 or 6 apartments on each side. The complex exemplifies the use of open space in the center to accommodate outdoor use and play.
3000 Urban Avenue
The 3000 block of Urban Avenue between Pico and Dorchester Avenue is a residential neighborhood of one-story, single-family homes, evoking images of a movie set of middle- or working-class mid-century America.
1815 10th Street
This wood frame single-family residence dates from the early 20th century.
3102 Colorado Avenue
This former African-American church now serves as the Santa Monica Baha'i Center.
1217, 1221-1223, and 1227-1229 9th Street
These one-story residential courtyards date from the early 20th century.
1342 5th Street
Carlson's Appliance, now closed, was a community fixture.
1414 Lincoln Boulevard
This Polish restaurant was built in 1913 and remodeled in 1925.
1314 7th Street
This is an Art Deco commercial building.
2411 3rd Street
These well-maintained, one-story, single family units feature original stucco facades and front and back porches.
Bay Street Inkwell Monument
The Inkwell was always a cultural landscape of the natural variety with some man made features and structures. The beach landscape has changed due to measures to keep the beach from eroding, and the addition of the parking lot. The Crescent Park and its colonnade, portions of the original sidewalks and street grid from the period of significance of the beach area to the Jim Crow era African American experience are in situ.
The residential and commercial neighborhood situated along Broadway between 14th and 20th Streets was a cultural cluster of buildings and businesses that served the African-American community. Two of the buildings doubled as meeting places, and were rented for social purposes due to exclusionary practices in public facilities during those times.
The block of Berkeley Street between Colorado and Pennsylvania Avenues was predominately settled by minorities. African-Americans, Japanese-Americans, and Mexican-Americans all lived in this neighborhood.
The First African Methodist Episcopal Church was first listed at this location in the 1925 City Directory. The current building was constructed in 1941, and is owned by the Philomathian Society. It features Masonic markings, which could indicate that it was a Crescent Masonic Lodge.
Bicknell Avenue is a layered, eclectic collection of Santa Monica history, especially of the skateboard culture that grew in the area in the 1970s.
The 1200 block of 11th street is home to six bungalows, each over one hundred years old.
Bergamot Station Arts Center is bounded on the north by Olympic Boulevard, on the south by Michigan Avenue, and on the west by 26th Street. It is a cultural arts district. The Los Angeles and Independence Railroad (LA&I) opened in 1875. It was a steam powered rail line which traveled from a wharf north of the current Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica along a private right-of-way to 5th and San Pedro Streets in downtown Los Angeles. The 16.67 miles of track between Los Angeles and Santa Monica were built by John P. Jones without government subsidies or land grants, all in a little over ten months - primarily using 67 Chinese laborers imported for the task. Right-of-way between Los Angeles and Santa Monica was given by local ranchers who were anxious to have access to a railroad.
The line opened October 17, 1875, with two trains running between Santa Monica and Los Angeles each day. The fare was fixed at $1.00 per trip, freight at $1.00 per ton. The LA&I helped make Santa Monica palatable to real estate speculators and prospective residents, but Jones, a U.S. Senator from Nevada, had grander plans. Intending to connect the line with the town of Independence in the Owens Valley, and from there to a silver mine he owned in the Panamint Mountains, Jones optimistically included "Independence" in his railroad's name. However, his mines dried out, causing Jones financial problems. He reluctantly sold the LA&I to Collis P. Huntington's Southern Pacific Railroad on July 1, 1877 for $195,000.
Bergamot Station was a railway stop. The history and development of Santa Monica is directly linked to the railway. Original railway tracks appear in the parking lot and there is original signage on the A and B buildings. Bergamot Station is currently the largest arts complex west of the Mississippi River.
2906 3rd Street
This building was constructed in approximately 1912 by local builders Nathan Rigdon and Morris Irwin.
634 21st Street
This home was designed in 1935 by local architect Cecil Gale.
2327 5th Street
This 1913 single-family residence was moved to its present site in approximately 1940 by a Mr. Rundgren or Pomeroy from a location near Wilshire Boulevard and 14th Street. An addition was made to the house in approximately 1948.
2323 5th Street
This 1913 single-family residence was moved to its present cite in approximately 1940 by a Mr. Rundgren or Pomeroy.
1045 Ocean Avenue
This Colonial Revival apartment house was constructed in 1922 (city records say 1905).
2425 3rd Street
This building served as one of the first apartment hotels in Santa Monica. Apartments were connected upstairs by doorways, allowing rental of multiple rooms or apartments. Hitching posts were removed, but spots remain, filled with concrete.
1454 Lincoln Boulevard
This 1925 commercial building was constructed by the same builder who constructed the first Santa Monica City Hall.
2318-2330 6th Street
This apartment building was constructed to house workers for Howard Hughes' aircraft endeavors, part of which were located where John Muir School and Los Amigos park are today.
Dr. Marcus O. Tucker Residence
The Dr. Marcus O. Tucker residence was designed by master architect Paul Revere Williams in 1937 for the first African American physician to live and work in Santa Monica.